This is a scholarship program created to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and to establish Canada as a global center of excellence in research and higher learning. The scholarships are towards a doctoral degree (or combined MA/Ph.D. or MD/Ph.D.) and in this article, you will learn more about the scholarship program and how you can apply for the fully funded Vanier Canada Graduate scholarship.
The Scholarship program is targeted at the following groups:
- Canadian citizens
- Permanent residents of Canada
- Foreign citizens are eligible to be nominated for a Vanier CGS.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
Canadian Universities with Vanier CGS allocation. Without exception, the Vanier CGS is tenable only at the eligible Canadian institution that submitted the nomination.
The level of study is for Ph.D. programs (or combined MA/Ph.D. or MD/Ph.D.) in health research; natural sciences and/or engineering research; and social sciences and/or humanities research
An eligible doctoral program must include a significant research component that leads to the completion of a thesis, major research project, dissertation, scholarly publication, performance, recital, and/or exhibit that is merit/expert-reviewed at the institutional level as a requirement for completion of the program.
Joint graduate research programs with a professional degree (e.g., MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., JD/Ph.D.) as well as clinically-oriented programs of study, including clinical psychology, are also eligible programs if they have a significant autonomous research component, as described above.
SEE NOW: 2021 Japanese Government MEXT Scholarship For Undergraduates
The scholarship is worth $50,000 per year for three years.
To be eligible for a Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota
- Be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., JD/Ph.D. – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Note that only the Ph.D. portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding
- Intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate program such as MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., JD/Ph.D.) studies and research at the nominating institution; Note that only the Ph.D. portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding
- Have completed no more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of 1 May 2021
- Have completed no more than 32 months of full-time study in their doctoral program, by 1 May 2021 if enrolled in a joint graduate research program, e.g., MD/Ph.D, MA/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D. Applicants that fall into this category have access to the 32-month window whether or not they were previously enrolled in a Master’s program; or
- Have completed no more than 32 months of full-time study in their doctoral program by 1 May 2021 if accelerated directly from a Bachelor’s to a Ph.D. (no time spent in a Master’s program), or
- Have completed no more than 32 months of full-time study in their doctoral program by 1 May 2021 if accelerated from a Master’s degree into a Doctoral program without obtaining the Master’s degree.
- Have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average; and
- Must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC, or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
How To Apply
To apply, you have to check out the scholarship overview page at VCGS Portal to see all you need to know about the scholarship program and application.
If you have any questions about this Fully Funded Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship Application, feel free to use the comment box below. Also, share this article on your social media account so that others can know about it.