The DAAD Helmut-Schmidt Masters Scholarships program for Public Policy and Good Governance offers very good graduates from developing countries an opportunity to obtain a Master’s degree in disciplines that are of special relevance for the social, political, and economic development of their home country at German institutions of higher education.
The scholarship scheme is open to candidates from Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa; Latin America; Asia and the Pacific, Western, Central, South-Eastern Europe; Eastern Europe, Central Asia & South Caucasus; and the Middle East and North Africa.
The mode of application is online and it is very much free to apply, so therefore this is an opportunity you should not miss for anything.
DAAD Helmut-Schmidt Masters Scholarships
The scholarships are awarded for selected Master courses at German institutions of higher education listed below:
- Hochschule Bonn-Rhein-Sieg: MA Analysis and Design of Social Protection Systems (Blended-learning)
- University of Duisburg-Essen: MA Development and Governance
- Brandt School of Public Policy at the University of Erfurt: Master of Public Policy (MPP)
- Universität Magdeburg: Peace and Conflict Studies (MA)
- Hochschule Osnabrück: Management in Non-Profit Organisations
- Universität Passau: Development Studies (MA)
- University of Passau: Master of Governance and Public Policy
- University of Potsdam: Master of Public Management (MPM)
DAAD scholarship holders within the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme are exempted from tuition fees. DAAD pays a monthly scholarship rate of currently 861 €.
The scholarship also includes contributions to health insurance in Germany and the following:
- Appropriate travel allowance
- A study and research subsidy
- Rent subsidies and/or allowances for spouses and/or children where applicable.
- Prior to their study programs, all scholarship holders will also receive a 6-monthly German language course.
The most important selection criteria are listed below:
- Higher education degree obtained with above-average results (top third of graduates)
- Language certificates (requirements vary depending on the respective course of study)
- Political and/or social involvement (see above ‘Target group’) is considered an advantage
- Evidence of internships and/or professional experience is also taken into account positively
- A conclusive account of the applicant’s academic and personal motivation for the study endeavor in Germany and for choosing and prioritizing the courses of study
- An account of the applicant’s perspectives upon returning to their home country or region
However, the following groups are not eligible;
- Applicants who obtained their most recent higher education degree more than six years before submitting their application.
- Applicants who have resided in a country that is not included in the DAC list of developing and emerging countries for more than 15 months at the time of the application deadline.
All Master courses have further additional requirements that must be fulfilled by the applicants in any case.
How To Apply
To apply for the scholarship program, simply adhere to the instructions given below
- Visit the Scholarship Application portal
- Read through the scholarship database and navigate down and click on “Application form”
- Fill the application form and follow the instructions on the page to successfully apply for the program.
Application closes on 31 July 2021 (annual).
Simply let others know about this DAAD Helmut-Schmidt Masters Scholarships by sharing this article on your social media account. Also, use the comment box below for any questions you will like to get answers to concerning this scholarship program.