The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT) of Japan offers scholarships to international students who wish to study at Japanese universities as Undergraduate Students under the Japanese Government MEXT Scholarship Program.
MEXT Scholarship will be granted to those who are willing to contribute to mutual understanding between Japan and their home country by participating in activities at schools and communities during their study in Japan while contributing to the internationalization of Japan.
They shall also make efforts to promote relations between the home country and Japan by maintaining close relations with the university attended after graduation, cooperating with the conducting of surveys and questionnaires, and cooperating with relevant
projects and events conducted by the Japanese diplomatic mission after they return to their home countries.
Japanese Government MEXT Scholarship
Those who are enrolled in an undergraduate course at a university, or who are receiving preparatory education in the Japanese language and other subjects prior to placement at the university are termed “undergraduates” and they can apply for the scholarship program.
MEXT accepts applications from international students for study in Japan who satisfy the following qualifications and conditions.
- Applicants must have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan.
- Applicants, in principle, must be born on or after April 2, 1996.
- Applicants who have completed 12 years of schooling in countries other than Japan.
- Applicants who have completed their studies at a school equivalent to a Japanese upper secondary school in countries other than Japan.
- Applicants who have successfully passed an academic qualification examination that is equivalent to the completion of 12 years of schooling in countries other than Japan.
- Applicants must be willing to learn Japanese.
- Applicants must submit a health certificate in the prescribed format signed by a physician attesting that the applicant has no physical or mental conditions hindering the applicant’s study in Japan.
- An applicant shall, in principle, newly obtain a “Student” visa at the Japanese diplomatic mission located in the applicant’s country of nationality, and enter Japan with the residence status of “Student.”
- Allowance: 117,000 yen per month.
- Education Fees: Fees for the entrance examination, matriculation, and tuition at universities will be paid by MEXT.
- Traveling Expenses
- Transportation to Japan: MEXT will stipulate the travel schedule and route, and provide an airline ticket to grantees who will arrive in Japan during the specified period
How To Apply
To apply for the scholarship, simply follow the steps below
- Find the Japanese Embassy or Consulate of your country HERE and visit the website of the Japanese Embassy of your country.
- You will find the MEXT scholarship, under the Education/Scholarship tab
- Download the MEXT scholarship application form and complete it.
- Submit the required documents to the Japanese Embassy of your country.
- A written test will be conducted by the Japanese Embassy followed by the interview
- Then successful candidates will be informed through email or the embassy website.
Not specified. However, you can apply while the offer is still available.
If you have any questions about this 2021 Japanese Government MEXT Scholarship For Undergraduates, feel free to use the comment box below.